RECHARGE YOUR CREATIVITY AT OUR brain spa and living laboratory in CENTRAL Portugal
The CO Project FARM RETREATs are dedicated 1-3 day STAYS to HELP YOU unwind, reflect, create, regenerate, build and contribute to the emerging field of creative change making.
WANT TO ACTIVATE positive changE ?
WE HAVE CREATED A SELF-DIRECTED EXPERIENCE JUST FOR YOU.
Who is this for?
If you want to:
Reflect on your career
Develop a project
Start a book
Build your creative confidence
Regenerate a burnt out mind
Rejuvenate your creativity
Carve out some time to be in nature
...then this program is for you!
Our Self-directed Creative Retreats at the CO Project Farm are the perfect way to jump start your project or professional development in a beautiful relaxing and inspiring setting. Meet like-minded creatives and get activated with our on-farm learning sessions.
We aim to run 2 weekend creative retreats per month for our summer and winter programs. Retreats offer a mini exposure to the UnSchool methodologies and approaches in systems thinking, design and sustainability.
The farm-stay creative retreats are designed for professionals wanting to enhance, build, reflect, create or collaborate their career, personal or project development in creative change-making.
Our lightly curated 3 day program starts on Friday and ends Sunday afternoon with the option of extending your stay into the week (when available).
- These are small group creative retreats offering a unique farm-stay experience on the Brain Spa campus near Tomar in Central Portugal.
- We aim to take a maximum of 6 people at a time in our beautifully restored 100 year old farm guesthouse, and have designed this offering as a regeneration and creative focused reatreat.
- Retreats are 3 days, with the option of extending your farm stay on a per night basis. Our booking system allows you to select the room and accommodation experience when you book.
- The costs cover all your healthy vegetable-centric meals every day, access to our on-site learning experiences, a self-directed journal and recreational activities (when available).
- We start Friday evening with a welcome dinner. Saturday and Sunday morning offer opt in learning sessions and allow you to design the rest of your time with recreational activities and lots of beautiful nature around to enjoy.
- We offer you a self-directed creative workbook to support your reatreat.
- We have wifi, or you can ask for a digital detox!
- It's an easy train ride from Lisbon or a simple drive from Porto. We will send you a welcome pack with all the details on how to get here.
- We usually offer a knowledge building session in systems thinking and have on farm support in project activation.
What We Provide
- Your booked room all ready for you with fresh linen and towels in our beautifully renovated 100-year-old guesthouse
- A welcome pack which includes a self-directed experience booklet
- Self-serve DIY breakfast and a nutritious prepared vegetarian lunch & dinner (we do most of the cooking, so you can do the creating!)
- A steady supply of delicious local wine and cheese
- Non-stop french press coffee
- Studio/workspace to create in
- Wifi access
- An inspiring and beautifully peaceful landscape in which to create your project
- Access to our unique on-farm learning experiences
- Access to our curated library of thought-provoking books
- River trips and wine tasting (weather dependent)
Join us this year at our beautiful nature-based learning laboratory. You will be among the olive and citrus groves, perfect for relaxing and regenerating your creative brain!
We work hard to offer these experiences at a rate that is accessible, as the UnSchool Association is a registered not-for-profit your contribution assists in us fulfilling our mission of change-making. The weekend residency investment is 350 Euros + your accommodation selection.
Day 1: Friday
2pm onward: Arrival and check in
15:00-19:00 Welcome and relaxation time
20:00-22:00 Farm dinner
Day 2: Saturday
10:00-12:00 Systems Thinking Workshop (optional)
13:00-14:00 Prepared Farm Lunch
15:00-19:00 Self-directed Work or Relaxation Time
20:00-22:00 Farm dinner
Day 3: Sunday
10:00-12:00 Change Making Workshop (optional)
13:00-14:00 Prepared Farm Lunch
15:00-17:00 Self-directed Work or Relaxation Time
18:00 Departure or Optional Extra Nights Stay
Can you cater to my dietary requirements or food allergies?
We will do our best to cater to food allergies / intolerances, keep in mind we prepare food for the entire group and do not prepare specific individual meals. You are most welcome to jump in our rustic sunlit kitchen and prepare your own food if you feel what is on offer will not be suitable. We cater all vegetarian, locally sourced meals and do not offer meat or fish. We have farm fresh eggs and local cheeses for protein and lots of delicious organic meals to energize you.
How do I get there ?
From Lisbon, a 2 hour direct scenic train ride from Orient or Santa Apolonia to Tomar is the best way and then a quick and easy taxi from the station to the farm for around €15. It is a 20 min drive. We send out arrival and departure information in our welcome pack once you book. You can easily drive from Lisbon too in 1.5 hours or Porto in 2 hours.
Can I bring my dog ?
Some of our animal family here on the farm aren’t very compatible with dogs, they would be much happier if left at home.
I have been following Leyla’s work and love it, will I get a chance to meet her ?
We have amazing facilitators that have been working closely with Leyla for a long time and will be taking care of you during your stay. Leyla loves to come back to the farm as much as possible but does a lot of travelling with her work in activating change globally, and may not be here during your visit. If you want to guarantee an opportunity to learn from Leyla then please sign up for one of the workshops she is facilitating.
What kind of support will I get in my project development?
We offer a variety of support tools such as reflective thinking exercises, reading lists, online classes and small group facilitated activities (depending on the group). Expect to have at least one activity during your stay with us and the rest of the time you will be given the space and time to work and reflect independently on your projects.
Who else will be there during my stay?
We keep our retreat programs small and intimate. We usually have between 2 and 6 people on the farm at any one time during the retreat programs. Expect like-minded creatives and professionals from all walks of life with a shared interested in affecting positive change and learning more about systems, sustainability and design.
What accomodation do you have on the farm ?
We offer shared and single room accomodation. The upstairs guest-house has 4 private rooms all with shared bathroom. Downstairs we have the beautiful bunkhouse with shared sleeping, living and bathroom & facilities. We also have an individual Triangle Cabin on the farm. You can select what room you want when booking. All rooms have conformable beds, linen and towels for your stay.
What facilities are provided onsite?
There is a beautiful sun-kissed workroom separate to the accommodation areas where you will have your own work desk, there is also a library, a projector for movie nights or presentations, yoga mats, whiteboard and stationary. Wifi is accessible throughout the accommodation and workroom areas. There is a large communal kitchen and many different outdoor areas for relaxation (think hammocks and sunbeds) along with the guest house sunroom and bunkhouse lounge area for working and relaxing.
Will I have time to work on my own projects?
Yes! That is what the retreats are designed for. We have a loose schedule of recommended work, reflection, reading and activity times but it is completely up to you if you would like to follow the schedule or do your own thing. The residences are all about self-directed learning with support provided by CO project staff in the form of great food, good reflective conversation and encouragement.
What can I expect on a daily basis?
Each day here is self-directed. Mornings we offer an opt in workshop on one of our core knowledge areas to support your learning journey and we leave afternoons for individual work and playing with the animals or getting your hands dirty in our veggie garden. Breakfast is self-serve on our beautiful well stocked kitchen and we offer an organic cooked vegetable-centric lunch at a time that suits the group. We provide a loose suggested schedule and offer some recreational activities and learning exercises depending on your needs but ultimately your time here is yours to do with as you please.
How do I apply to be a resident?
We aim to offer 2 retreat weekends per month and have a simple signup system for our 3 day program. Select a date from what we have on offer and answer few short questions to complete along with payment to secure your place. After you have done so you will have access to our welcome pack with all the information you need and we will be in touch to arrange your arrival details.